Thursday, April 29, 2010

Moments of Clarity

I never thought I would ever say this, but….I am tired of endless days of summer and blue skies, not to mention the heat and humidity.

I write these lines as I sit at my desk and enjoy a glorious rain storm that has been going on for the past 20 minutes. I’d forgotten how much I miss a gray sky and rain.

I miss, too, the coziness of the rain. I'm reminded of curling up with a good book at my grandmother’s house – sitting by the window next to the giant holly tree in the side yard.

For me, the Dili heat prevents everything except the shortest of walks – although I see a number of brave expats – jogging or playing soccer in the heat – their red faces contorted by the near non-existent breeze and high humidity.

The distant roar of thunder accompanies this rain storm and it, too, is most enjoyable. Where’s the lightning?

The rain is easing up now – the air is fresh – there is the fragrance of flowers – the leaves on the trees are bright green – the rain having washed away the dust.

My brain clears -- I'm able to focus more sharply -- as if the rain has cleared away the routine of the day.

More thunder – it’s closer now. Still no lightning.

Overhead, the rain drips from the mango leaves onto the roof. It's nice to have a break in the routine.

No comments: