Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Romain Gary aka Emile Ajar

I'm reading Promise at Dawn and it just might be the most beautiful book I've ever read. I don't write these words lightly.

The book, which is autobiographical, is a love story between Gary and his mother -- and yet so much more -- philosophy, adventure, self-discovery and lots of humor.

Romain Gary's descriptions are so unique. For instance, he recalls the first time he sees the sea and the profound effect it had on him. "I am unable to think of the sea as a mere 'it' - for me she is the most living, animated, expressive, meaningful, living thing under the sun. I know that she carries the answer to all our questions, if only we could break her coded message..." Page 104.

The book is full of observations like this.

At times, I laugh out loud -- as he finds humor even in tragedy.

Gary paints with words. The book is a work of art.

No comments: