Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

It's been six years since I've lived in a country that celebrates Easter. In Timor-Leste, Easter is a really big deal.

In Dili, for instance, the city is quiet -- shops, restaurants, night clubs, virtually everything is closed today. At home, people don't watch television, don't listen to music, don't spend a lot of time on the phone -- as a colleague told me, if you are watching television or listening to music -- your neighbor is likely to peck on your door and ask you to turn it off.

My colleague says Good Friday is quiet in Timor so that everyone can pay their respects to Christ -- and reflect on what happened.

As I was driving back from Maubisse today, on three different occasions I saw Good Friday processions along the roadway. Mostly young people walking and singing their way to church. I snapped this photo about 90 minutes' drive outside Dili, the capital.

No comments: