- Many Australians wear Bintang Beer T-shirts in Bali.
- An elderly woman walks beside the road near Ubud on a hot day with her shirt unbuttoned -- her tanned skin glistens in the sunlight.
- Hawkers in Bali call everyone "boss" -- "hey boss, need transport?"
- A monkey at the Ulu Watu Temple grabs a man's glasses and tries to put them on. (the man eventually gets them back)
- When I see the Balinese dish Nasi Goreng (fried rice) on the menu, I think "Nazi Goring."
- The best pizza in Bali is at the Kumala Pantai Hotel Restaurant.
- There's almost no public seating at Gate 9 at the airport in Bali, but there are lots of places to get foot massages at this gate.
- One way streets are almost always two-way -- look both ways!
- Women carry bricks on their heads (among other things!)
- Driving seems chaotic, but Balinese are courteous drivers.
- A man with a machine gun guards the ATM at the Matahari Department Store.
- You can get a fish massage at the Matahari Department Store. (People pay to put their feet in a big bowl of water and the fish kiss their feet. It tickles.)
- Service in Bali is excellent -- usually.
- Fewer mosquitoes than in Timor-Leste.
- It's nice not having to sleep under a mosquito net.
- McDonalds has a billboard that says "Missing home?"
- There are Circle K's on every corner in Bali.
- You can return a pirated DVD within seven days for a replacement -- no refunds, usually.
- The water temperature in the ocean feels like bath water.
- There are a growing number of billboards in Russian -- as more Russians discover Bali.
- A Gamalon orchestra performs in a shopping mall -- complete with characters from the Ramayana.
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Posted by Radio Nomad at 5:53 AM