Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bali - Normal vs Exotic

I was chatting with a colleague the other day in Dili, the day before I flew to Bali. We both agreed that Bali is exotic depending on where you are coming from in the world. If you are coming from...say...Australia or the United States, Bali would certainly feel "exotic."

If, however, you are coming from a place like Timor-Leste -- Bali just feels normal. That's not to say I don't like Timor-Leste. I do. It is my home. However, in Bali, there is a lot more to do -- museums, great restaurants, ice cream that hasn't been thawed and re-frozen several times, stable electricity, white-water rafting and lots of shopping.

I am not a shopper, per se, but I do enjoy the option -- particularly window-shopping.

Timor-Leste has lots and lots of potential -- in terms of becoming a tourist destination. It'll get there, one day. It has incredible landscapes, amazing coral reefs and friendly people.

No comments: