Monday, October 3, 2011

Bascom Lamar Lunsford Festival

It was a cold day in Mars Hill, North Carolina on Saturday, but the outdoor music went on -- right on schedule. After all, it was the Bascom Lamar Lunsford Festival. Lunsford was a musician and collector of folk songs. He was probably the biggest promoter of Southern Appalachian music. 

I think he would have been proud of Saturday's program.

Musician and storyteller Joe Penland of Marshall led a group of ballad singers as they sat around in rocking chairs swapping stories and songs. There was musicians playing that traditional "mountain" instrument -- the hammered dulcimer and -- plenty of guitars and banjos. 

I happened to wander up as George and Brooke Buckner took the stage and captured this tune.

1 comment:

babbler said...

..."Be kind to a man when he's down"...I loved it! I will be hearing that tune through my workday tomorrow, in fact, it was my bedtime lullabye, Thanks!
Love,
Mrs. Slug in Oregon