Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Jakarta - Nothing to Do, But Shop


Jakarta is not a pedestrian-friendly city. Sidewalks can be scarce, but you really don't want to walk in Jakarta -- the exhaust fumes are so bad -- just walking along the road side feels like you are French-kissing a tailpipe. No, the best thing to do is to take a taxi -- and stay indoors.

My respite was Grand Indonesia -- a massive shopping mall -- with everything including the kitchen sink. It is at least eleven floors of shopping -- including a multi-plex on the top floor -- where you also get a terrific view of the city-scape.

There's an amazing number of restaurants and the ones I tried were very good -- and good value. Turkish doner for lunch, Thai food for dinner and Haagen Dazs for dessert.

It's impossible to see all the shops in one day, so I returned for a second day today. I think I've spent too much time in Dili -- where there is a serious lack of shopping -- and perhaps I needed a bit of shopping stimulation -- I'm not normally drawn to shopping malls.






It's not all been shopping -- the National Museum is also here -- and it's a must-see. More on that visit -- next time.

No comments: